It was this picture that caught my attention first. Wow, I thought, these are awesome jeans! (I like that fabric, too!) THEN I read the description; Pull-on jeans! The best of both worlds!
I read the reviews: (click here) then bought the pattern. I already had a piece of stretch twill, pre-washed and ready to sew. Black. Cat hair magnet. Anyway…..
Before I traced off my size, (I never cut a master pattern), I checked the “rise”. It’s a “below the waist fit”. Not for me. Three children, a few years, an appreciation of wine, you get the drift.
I added 2 inches to the rise, then made these jeans. The instructions are fantastic. Hint: I print the instructions from the Jalie website so I can keep it handy beside my machine. One other change I made was to shorten the elastic by 2 inches for both the front and back. I wanted to avoid “plumbers’ crack”.
I completed the jeans, tried them on, and OMG, I LOVE them. The fit is perfect. (Almost)
On the next pair I changed the rise adjustment from 2 inches to 1 1/2 inches. And changed the front false pocket to a real one. And not use black fabric. It doesn’t photograph well. So this is my next pair, in a stretch denim.
The photo doesn’t do the fabric justice. It’s a rich denim blue with 20% stretch, perfect for this pattern.
I added real pockets to the fronts. The original pattern has an insert to give the illusion of a pocket which gave me a starting point. To keep bulk to a minimum, I used a cotton print for the lining. If you’d like a detailed description of how I drew and sewed the pockets, please email me at: yvettechilcott(at)yahoo(dot)ca with your request and I’ll write it up.
All my top stitching was done using Sulky 12 weight cotton and a Schmetz twin needle size 100/6mm.
I recently became a Husqvarna Viking Epic owner, and have been sewing up a storm. These jeans gave me a reason to finally open the embroidery unit. This raw edge applique design is one of the many that are included in the machine. I embroidered 3 flowers in total, 2 are design size and 1 enlarged. I used the reverse side of the denim for the applique and a Sulky variegated rayon embroidery thread.