Just for the record, I have no grandchildren. So I rather enjoy other people’s grandchildren. One of my friends has a daughter who had a beautiful baby girl 5 years ago. !!! Really? 5 years? yes.
Although she now lives far away, through the magic of face-book I have kept up some of the “moments” of her life.
Enter; her first Barbie.
OMG, my “grandmotherly instincts” have me designing and sewing Barbie clothes. Insane. But loads of fun.
So, first, I bought myself a Barbie. I didn’t want to spend too much money, (I’m retired you know, and on a pension) so I chose the lowest priced one at Walmart. Her bathing suit is painted on so her straps sometimes show.
I’ve had sew much fun making 2-hour tunics for me that I knew Barbie would like some, too. This one’s dress length.
Here’s a shorter one with a pair of navy leggings.
And a red one, with red pants , too. Click the links below for the patterns.
A couple of strapless dresses, and an evening coat.
I found a piece of sequined trim, and here’s where that ended up.
And of course I had to crochet something.
A few partially assembled garments ended up in the garbage. You sure don’t sew Barbie clothes in the same sequence as human clothes.
- Use a new needle
- Use the smallest needle you can thread
- I used a stretch 75/11 (and the needle threader on my machine wouldn’t thread it.)
- Keep it simple. Pants do not need side seams.
- Sew the front seam, then make a casing for the elastic.
- Add the elastic, anchor it at both ends, then sew the back seam.
- Clear elastic is wonderful, I used the 1/4″ wide stuff.
- Hem the pants before you sew the inseam.
- Hem the sleeves before you sew the side-seams.
- Some knit fabrics are too stretchy. In the garbage.
- Add a center front seam if you want a V-neck.
- Finish the neck first, then sew up the center front seam.
- Velcro comes in lots of colours. I used 3/4 inch and cut it in half length-ways.
- You’ll never look at your fabric scraps the same way again.
- Wonder Tape is a lifesaver.
- Fine glass headed pins are a lifesaver.
- Twizzers are a lifesaver.
- One of my cats drove me insane. He kept running away with the new clothes. And tried running away with Barbie. He was dragging her by her hair!!!!!! Rock.
- If your sewing machine wants to eat your fabric, slide a piece of tissue paper underneath your seam.
Have I inspired you? I’m going to put the patterns up in PDF’s. Want them?
Have you made Barbie clothes?
Are you going to?
I’d love to hear from you.