Time to put the bug to work!
(I made a ginger-bug, in case you missed it, the article is here: http://www.sewwhatyvette.com/ginger-bug)
I chopped 4 cups of fresh rhubarb and added it to 6 cups of tap water. Boiled this for 10 minutes, removed from the heat and let it cool. I strained it and measured the juice, almost 8 cups, then stirred in 1 cup of sugar.
To this mixture, I added 1/2 cup of liquid from the ginger-bug and stirred it through.
It tastes fantastic, but too sweet. I need the sugar though, because the fermentation process eats sugar. The final product will not be as sweet. (I hope).
This is day 2 and check out those bubbles! I can hear a slight fizz sound, and there is an effervescence in the juice. It’s already lost some of it’s sweetness and is pleasantly tangy.
Tomorrow I’ll strain it into a clean jar, cap it, and put in the fridge overnight.
This promises to be way better than soda, all natural, full of probiotics, and budget friendly.