Our youngest is heading back to university this fall for year 2. He’s not in residence, but sharing a house. His grandpa donated a small chest freezer, and we’re working hard to fill it with prepared meals.
On that note, I made meatballs today. Hundreds of meatballs. Keep in mind that we never have “left-overs” but often have “plan-overs”. The recipe follows:
- 3 pounds ground pork
- 4 pounds ground beef
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups unseasoned dry breadcrumbs
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped onions (I used frozen ones)
- 2 teaspoons powdered thyme
- 2 teaspoons powdered sage
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- Mix everything together, I used my hands. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Shape into small balls, about the size of a tablespoon. Either grease a few baking pans, or line them with parchment paper. Place the meatballs on the pans, about an inch apart, and bake for 15 minutes.
- Cool and add to your favourite recipe.
- We put Diana Sauce on some, BBQ sauce on some, added some to spaghetti sauce, and put the remainder away in zip lock bags in the freezer.