OMG, another rhubarb adventure! (I’m starting to miss my sewing room.)
I was raised frugally. It’s the Dutch blood, parents growing up during the war, you know, (please don’t be offended if you’re Dutch.)
Then, I married and raised my children on one income. More penny-pinching. Totally worth it, btw.
So I saved bacon fat. And used it. So now, I still do.
But, if you don’t use it, you waste it. I saute veggies in it, yummy.
And today, it’s Rhubarb Bacon (fat) Muffins or Loaves, your choice.
- 2 1/2 cups of all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup melted bacon fat
- 1 1/4 cups brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup sour milk or milk kefir
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 2 cups chopped rhubarb
- Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and spices in a large bowl.
- In another bowl, add the brown sugar to the melted bacon fat and mix until smooth. Add the egg, milk, and vanilla. Mix well. It might look curdled, that's ok.
- Dump it into the flour mixture, and mix only until it's combined, don't over mix. Fold in the rhubarb.
- Spoon into paper-lined or greased muffin tins, filling to the top, or into 2 greased and lined loaf pans.
- Bake at 350 F, 20- 25 min for the muffins and 40-45 for the loaves.
- Remove from the oven when a toothpick comes out clean and cool for a few minutes in the pans before moving to a rack.
- I sprinkled a bit of nutmeg on top before baking.