I love this top! I do love me a raglan, (no shoulders to fit) I love the length, and the fabric is wonderful! It’s soft, warm, light, stretchy, has memory, and it’s in my favourite colour family. Buy it here: Distinctive Sewing Supplies
These two are from the same pattern, Jalie 3245, Tee Shirt Raglan, but ended up looking quite different.
For this new version (on the left) I raised the neckline by 2 inches, and shortened the length by one inch. I also changed the neckline finish from a narrow folded to the front band to a wider attached neckband. (but that wasn’t in the original plan, more on that in a bit)
I like it. I subscribe to the weekly newsletter from Distinctive Sewing Supplies, and every Friday Catherine sends out a great newsletter. One of them showed this incredible fabric, and I knew I needed some.
And as soon as it arrived I had stash it up high so “nosy cat” couldn’t tear the bag open. (He recognizes soft and cozy)
I really like the label on the bag!
I did raise the neckline by two inches, and that involved the area at the front of the raglan sleeve as well.
I fused one inch wide strips of knit fusible interfacing along all the neckline edges, which I always do on knits.
Construction was quick and easy, I used a 4-thread overlock on my serger for all the seams.
The neckline finish with this pattern involves cutting a one inch wide strip of fabric, attaching it to the inside, then folding it around the seam before top-stitching it to the right side.
It went ok, I serged the first step, then tried to fold it around the seam. Smoothly. Pinning was a pain. I decided to use 1/4 inch wide steam-a-seam to fuse it down instead. Brilliant, right? It went pretty well. But, when I tried it on, the neckline was stretched out of shape, and steaming it with my iron didn’t help much.
I picked out the top-stitching.
I pulled the fused fold apart.
I picked out the serging.
I threw the neck-strip in the garbage.
Then I steamed the entire neck area back into the right shape. Now I can start again. And I have a plan.
I cut a strip of the sweater knit 2 1/4 inches wide and the length of the neckline across the grain. (mine was 26 inches. This was pressed in half longways with wrong sides together. Then I used a narrow zig-zag stitch to baste the edges of the center area together. I left about 6 inches at each end not basted.
With my top on the ironing board, and matching the center of the band with the center front, I stuck in a pin to hold it. Then working up one side of the neck, I stretched the basted area of the band while keeping the folded part smooth and stuck pins in the hold it as I went. When I got to the center back I marked the band with a pin.
Then I removed the band, leaving a pin in it at the center front and measured between the pins. That was half of my neck band, times 2 equals the needed length. The extra was cut off, leaving 1/4 inch at each end for seam allowance. I joined it with the serger, and after 1/4 pinning, the rest went really well.
The hems were basted in place using Heat & Bond Feather Lite, then cover stitched.
I love my new sweater!