My hubby and I have developed a taste for Thai foods over the years, We love the combination of sweet, salty, sour and hot.
After reading the long list of ingredients on the label of the last jar we bought, I resolved to make my own from now on. We like it even better than the jarred stuff.
Here’s my recipe:
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 Tbsp. oyster sauce
- 2 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 3 cloves garlic, minced or 3 tsps of chopped garlic)
- 1/2 to 1 Tbsp. dried crushed chili (I used1 Tbsp. to make it spicy-hot sauce)
- 1+1/2 Tbsp. cornstarch dissolved in 1/4 cup water
- In a small saucepan over high heat, combine the white vinegar, sugar, water, oyster sauce, garlic and chili flakes.
- Bring to a boil then reduce the heat to medium and boil for about 15 minutes until it has reduced slightly.
- Disolve the cornstarch in the 1/4 cup of water, add to the boiled mixture and stir until thick.
- I served this with thinly sliced seared and oven roasted pork tenderloin and wanted to lick my plate.