My dress is finished!
This beautiful linen caught my eye as soon as it was unpacked when we set up the Distinctive Sewing Supply booth at last month’s Creativfestival. The pattern is Folkwear design called a Turkish Dancer Dress, #108, but you’d never guess from looking at the cover of the pattern.
The “V” of the neck looks very low, (it isn’t).
My linen dress is fully underlined with a cotton voile, and I’ll wear it as soon as it gets warm enough.
I omitted the sleeves and the side slits, shortened the length by 12 inches, and overlapped the front by 1 inch.
I made another version of the same dress a couple of years ago, in a linen/cotton blend, but the fabric was heavier so it didn’t need the underlining. I love the slightly extended shoulder and the slight upward curve of the shoulder at the neck. The neckline and armholes are finished with self-made bias binding.
My disclosure: The beautiful linen and the cotton voile for the interlining was provided to me at no charge by Distinctive Sewing Supplies in exchange for writing a review of the fabric and a tutorial for the pattern changes. And just sew you know, I would have bought the fabrics anyway. I LOVE them!
(I already had the pattern) Pre-order yours from Distinctive Sewing Supplies by clicking here.
They arrive with labels:
Both fabrics, the linen and the cotton voile were soaked in Eucalan for 20 minutes, then rinsed and tumble dried at low heat for about 20 minutes. Both fabrics came out of the drier looking a bit “rumpled”, but not enough that I felt I had to iron them. Smoothing them with my hands on the cutting table was enough.
My next post will detail the simple adjustments to the pattern.